Cajun Chicken Cabbage Cups
I absolutely adore chicken fajitas and regularly have them minus the torts, I had a craving for them when I came across these cute baby cabbages!
The result…. Cajun Chicken Cabbage Cups!
1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 chicken breasts
1 baby cabbage, separated into individual leaves
1 lime – 1/2 juiced, 1/2 sliced
2 tbsp coconut aminos
– either 1 tsp of Garlic & Chilli Oil or one clove of fresh garlic, minced and 1/2 of a fresh chilli finely chopped
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp olive oil
Parsley to garnish
- In a large bowl combine all of the spices, add the olive oil and work into a paste. Marinade the chicken (either whole or in chunks) in the paste, for 1-2 hours.
- Heat a griddle pan with some coconut oil and fry the chicken, leaving the breasts whole will lengthen the cooking time.
- In a small pan/wok heat 1 tsp of coconut oil with the garlic and chilli or 1 tsp of garlic and chilli oil, add the red onions and saute until translucent, adding a small bit of cold water if necessary.
- Add the peppers to the onions and continue to saute, after 1-2 minutes add the lime juice and coconut aminos and continue to cook until the peppers have softened.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add the cabbage leaves, boil for 4-5 minutes until slightly softened before straining and refreshing with cold water.
- Lay out the cabbage leaves and add a small amount of onions & peppers to each, top with a piece of chicken and garnish with a sprinkle of parsley.
- Serve and enjoy with a squeeze of lime.