This week, as part of Wonky Meets, I caught up with Holly White and she shared this recipe for a delicious Vegan Shepardless Pie with me!! I have to agree with Holly, walnuts absolutely transform this dish and the addition of nutritional yeast is something I had never thought of doing! It’s stunning and super simple to make! Check out Holly making it below and be sure to subscribe to her channel for more videos!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Vegan.
Holly White's Vegan Shepardless PiePrint This
- Pie filling: 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 cups of frozen petit pois or peas
- 1 cups of button mushrooms
- 1 Handful of chopped walnuts
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube and a 250 ml glass of hot water to dissolve it in
- 2 cups of dry black or green lentils, or if using tinned, 2 cans of tinned green or black lentils
- 1 tablespoon of miso paste - health food stores will have this in the fridge section
- Mash: 1kg of potatoes, diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 cup of plant-based milk (Ensure it is unsweetened.)
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast - optional - but it adds depth of flavour. (health food stores will stock this)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Dice the potatoes, steam or boil until soft for approximately 20 minutes.
- Wash and drain the lentils and set aside.
- Next, sauté the onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots until they begin to soften.
- Add the lentils, stock and the tinned tomatoes and simmer for twenty minutes.
- Make your mash by adding 1 cup of plant-based milk, the garlic, nutritional yeast and the olive oil to the pan and hand mash or use a hand blender.
- Add the frozen peas and stir in one dessertspoonful of miso paste to the filling and season with salt and pepper.
- Taste it at this stage if possible to ensure you are happy with the flavour.
- Pour the filling into a casserole dish, top with the mash and add a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for thirty minutes at 150*.
- It will be piping hot so allow it to sit for at least 10 minutes before serving.