Fragrant Coconut Chicken Curry
Today was Thai Day at Cooks Academy so I took the opportunity to whip up this bad boy!
It has been a whirl wind of a week! Apologies for not sharing some tasty treats earlier in the week – I can assure you that it has been worth the wait!!
This Curry is incredibly tasty and super simple to put together – throw away that take away menu and get into your kitchen! You won’t be disappointed!!
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved,
1 chicken leg, bones removed
1 chicken breast, diced
1 can of coconut milk
1 tbsp of compliant red curry paste (Wonky Spatula recipe coming soon!)
1 red chili, finely sliced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 piece of lemongrass, cut in half
2-3 fresh Kaffir lime leaves
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 inch piece of galangal (or ginger), sliced
Handful of asparagus / green beans
Handful of assorted mushrooms
Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Juice of 1/4 – 1/2 lime
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp Agave nectar (omit for whole30)
1 tbsp Coconut Aminos
(Hold back some mushrooms, chili, coriander and a lime wedge to garnish)
– Don’t be put off by the long list of ingredients, it really is super simple!! –
- Heat a large wok with some coconut oil, brown the chicken and remove from the pan.
- Add the curry paste and heat gently before adding the coconut milk, bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the Kaffir leaves, galangal and lemongrass.
- Heat a small pan and sweat the shallots with the garlic and chili before adding to the wok.
- Add the chicken and bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the green beans and/or asparagus along with the coriander and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms.
- Add the lime juice, agave, fish sauce and coconut aminos.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, remove the lemongrass, lime leaves and galangal. Garnish and serve!