A few weeks ago I picked up a jar of pre-made mince pie filling and completely fell in love with it! I topped my porridge with it all week and by the following Friday, it was all gone! After discovering my new found love and watching an episode of Nigella’s Christmas where she made an absolutely stunning batch I decided I HAD to come up with my own!
Wheather like me you like to top your porridge with it or are an avid mince pie fan you cannot let the festive period pass you by without digging into a batch of this! It’s even great to have on hand for last minute gifts!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan & Paleo.
Christmas MincemeatPrint This
- 300g fresh cranberries
- 500g raisins
- 250g golden raisins
- 250g sultanas
- 200g fresh apple
- 50g grassfed butter (omit for vegan option)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 heaped tsps all spice
- 2 heaped tsps ground cinnamon
- 2 heaped tsps ground ginger
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of agave
- In a large pan, add the cranberries and stir in 1/4 cup of water.
- Stew the cranberries down until they start to resemble a jam-like mixture.
- Add the dried fruit, spices, vanilla and the butter and cook for 10-15 minutes until the raisins are nice and plump.
- Next, add the apple chunks and remaining water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 20 minutes, or until the fruit has broken down and has absorbed most of the liquid in the pan.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the agave and allow to cool a little.
- Combine the mixture thoroughly and taste to ensure it is sweet enough for your liking, adding a little touch extra of agave if needed.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jars and, once cool, store in the fridge for up to two weeks.