The Ultimate Slow Cook: Slow Cooked Roast Chicken
I got a present of a slow cooker for Christmas and I have fallen in love with all things slow cooker related!! I have been trying out lots of different things, this incredible Slow Roast Chicken is without a doubt the best thing I have tried so far!! It is so juicy and delicious you will want to cook one every night!! It would be great to come home to after a long day, with so little preparation required which is even better!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved.
1 Medium Free Range Chicken
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tbsp of either coconut oil or ghee (I used coconut oil)
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 handful of fresh parsley, finely chopped stalks removed
- Lay the onion and carrot on the bottom of your slow cooker, this is going to be what you chicken sits on as it cooks.
- In a small bowl combine the garlic and parsley with either 2 tbsp of coconut oil or ghee, whichever you prefer, until they are mixed together like a paste.
- Make sure that your chicken is properly cleaned and ready to go.
- Baste the chicken with the herb and garlic paste.
- Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the cavity of the chicken, place the remainder of lemon inside the cavity as well.
- Place the chicken into the slow cooker on top of the bed of vegetables and put the lid on top.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours (I did mine for 9 and a half hours) until the chicken is fully cooked, serve and enjoy!
- I used the chicken juices and vegetables in a soup and it was delicious!