A meat-free alternative of a timeless classic, packed so full of flavour it will make you question why you haven’t been eating it this way for years!
1 cup walnuts
2 tbsp italian herb seasoning
1 tsp ground nutmeg
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
1/2 a large onion, finely chopped
6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can of tinned tomatoes
1 can tomato puree
1/4 cup of vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
4 courgettes, spiralized
Fresh basil to garnish
- Add the walnuts and herbs to a food processor. Blend for approximately 30 seconds until the nuts are well chopped.
- Heat a large pan with some coconut oil and saute the onion and celery until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan to brown, adding some water if necessary.
- Finally add the garlic and allow to infuse at a reduced heat for 2-3 minutes, before transferring the mixture to a large pot.
- Add the tomatoes, puree and stock to the pan and heat for 2-3 minutes before adding in the chopped nuts.
- Combine both mixtures in the pot, snap the bay leaf in half and mix it into the sauce.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime saute the zoodles to your liking.
- Plate up, spoon the sauce over your zoodles, garnish with some fresh basil and enjoy!