I absolutely love Indian food, and although Tikka Masala isn’t exactly a traditional dish it is definitely something that many of us would go for when we find ourselves looking at an Indian menu, with that in mind here is my cleaned up version which is packed full of flavour and bound to spice up your Friday night in!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved.
4 turkey breasts (you can sub for chicken if you prefer)
For the spice rub:
1/2 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tbsp ground ginger
1/2 tbsp ground cumin
1 onion, finely sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red chili, finely chopped
2 tbsp garma masala
1 tbsp turmeric
1 small tin of tomato puree (38g)
200g chopped tomatoes
200g creamed coconut
Fresh Coriander to serve
- In a small bowl combine the spice rub, dice the turkey and toss in the spices.
- Add 1/2 a tbsp of coconut oil to a wok or large pan, once heated lightly brown the turkey for 3-4 minutes, before setting aside.
- If needed add some more coconut oil to your pan/wok and sauté the onions, garlic, and chili for 3-4 minutes before stirring in the turmeric and garam masala, add about 3 tbsp of water and cook for a further 2 minute until the onion has started to soften.
- Once the water has evaporated stir in the tomato puree and mix well until a paste has formed.
- Add the turkey back in and coat in the paste.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes and allow the mixture to come to the boil.
- Add in the coconut cream, keeping back about a 2 tbsp of it for later on, mix thoroughly through and allow the sauce to come to the boil again.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes at a low heat, until the sauce has nicely thickened and the turkey is fully cooked.
- Serve with a dollop of creamed coconut and a sprinkle of fresh coriander and enjoy!