Perfect for popping on the BBQ this weekend, or simply popping in the oven while you soak up the sun! A great way to dine al fresco with a delicious salad.
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole30.
1 medium chicken (1kg)
1 large green chilli
4 cloves garlic
2 large handfuls of fresh coriander
4 tbsp of lemon juice
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp coconut oil
Large pinch of coarse salt
1 lemon chopped into rings
- To spatchcock, the chicken, place it breast-side down, with the legs facing you, using scissors, cut up along each side of the backbone to remove it.
- Open the chicken out and turn over, flatten the breastbone with your hand to spread the chicken out.
- Set the chicken aside while you prepare the piri piri marinade.
- To make the marinade place all of the remaining ingredients bar the chopped lemon into a small bowl.
- Using a hand blender, blitz until you have a nice paste. (Alternatively, you can do this in your food processor)
- Cover the chicken with the paste and set aside to marinade for 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat your oven to 180°C fan, 350–375°F.
- Lay the lemon slices out on an oven proof dish and place the chicken on top.
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes, until fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and loosely cover with tin foil, allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before serving.