This recipe is great for using up any leftover potatoes you have to lying around the fridge! One of my favourite meals growing up was smoked salmon with potato cakes, there’s just nothing like it! These potato cakes are so versatile you can team them with just about anything, whether it’s a full Irish at the weekend or a quick and easy side dish for your mid-week meals.
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole30.
Irish Potato CakesPrint This
- 3 large white potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 20-30g of grass-fed butter, plus extra to serve – Kerry Gold is my go to! (sub ghee for Whole30)
- 4 tbsp coconut flour
- 2-3 slices of smoked salmon per person to serve
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of cold water.
- Boil the potatoes for roughly 20 minutes until fully cooked and fluffy.
- Once cooked strain off the water from the potatoes and place back on your hob over a low heat to dry off for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, mash the potatoes, add the butter with a little sprinkle of salt and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in 3 tbsp of flour.
- Sprinkle the remaining tbsp of flour onto a wooden board and place the potato on top.
- Shape the potato into a circle and cover in the dusting flour.
- Slice the potato cake into 4 and heat a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Place the potato cakes onto the dry pan and cook for 4-5 minutes a side, until they are nicely browned and starting to crisp.
- Either finish in the pan with a small knob of butter or add it on top when plating – whichever you prefer!
- Serve and enjoy with a generous helping of smoked salmon.