I recently chatted about the new additions to my diet in a post about ‘Finding my Food Freedom‘ part of that has been adding chickpeas. I am really enjoying them at the moment and this stew is the perfect winter warmer!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Vegan.
Swede, Carrot & Chickpea StewPrint This
- 1 swede, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- (Top tip: I picked up a 480g packet of pre-prepared swede & carrot in my local supermarket - keep an eye out for one of those!)
- 1 tin of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp of Italian herb seasonings
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
- Pinch of chipotle
- 1 cup of vegetable stock (check out my recipe here)
- 1 small tin (150g) tomato puree
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Pinch of coarse salt
- In a large pan heat the olive oil.
- Next add the onion & garlic and sweat down for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the onion has begun to soften add the carrot and swede and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the herbs & spices with a good pinch of coarse salt & mix thoroughly.
- When the mixture is combined add the chickpeas and stir though & saute for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, tinned tomatoes & puree, mix throughly and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once it has come to the boil reduce to a simmer and allow to cook away for 25-30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy with your choice of sides! I love cauliflower rice with this!