Zesty Prawns Tempura with Rainbow Carrot fries
A couple of weeks ago I had the most amazing Prawn Tempura in Cafe Mambo in Ibiza, this afternoon I had a serious craving for them, so I decided to adapt one of my salmon recipes! I picked up the Rainbow Carrots in Marks and Spencer’s yesterday and have been dying to try them so rather than team my prawns with sweet potato fries I decided to make carrot ‘fries’ of sorts!
140g Honduran Peeled Prawns
2 Egg yokes
1 Egg white
1/4 cup Almond flour
2 Tbsp Coconut flour
1/2 cup Desiccated coconut
Juice of 1 lime
200g Rainbow carrots – scrubbed and tailed
1 tbsp Dried thyme
1/2 tsp Ground cumin
1/2 Spanish smoked paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 Ground coriander
2 tbsp Coconut oil – melted
Handful of mixed leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220°c.
- Mix all the spices in a large bowl.
Add the coconut oil and toss the carrots in it.
- Place in the oven for 25-30 minutes turning occasionally.
- Mix the lime juice with the egg white in 1 bowl, the almond flour and coconut flour in another, whisk the yokes in yet another bowl and finally the desiccated coconut in another!
- Lay out some parchment on a baking sheet.
- Take a prawn dip it in the egg white and lime mix, then the coconut and almond flower mix, followed by the egg yoke and finally the desiccated coconut, place on the parchment and repeat until all of the prawns have been battered.
- Baked at 220°c for 14 minutes, turning half way.
- Serve on a bed of mixed leaves with lime wedges and enjoy!