Sweet Potato Tots with Homemade Mayo
Homemade Mayo is a cupboard staple and the basis for some many delicious dressings and sauces! Once you have mastered the basic mayo, the flavour combinations are endless, but for me garlic mayo just cannot be beaten! Simply whisk in 2 cloves of crushed garlic to your finished mayo! Then team your delicious homemade mayo with my signature Sweet Potato Tots – perfect anytime of the day!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved!
For the mayo:
2 egg yolks
250ml of your chosen compliant oil, I find that ½ olive oil, ½ avocado oil is the perfect combination!
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp yellow mustard
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Pinch of salt (optional)
They key to good mayonnaise is patience, whisk continuously with one hand while slowly adding the oil at a steady pace with the other. Don’t be tempted to throw the last drop in all at once!
- Begin by whisking the egg yolks and vinegar together.
- Secure your bowl so that it will stay still. Whisk the yolks with one hand while gradually adding the oil bit by bit with the other hand.
- Once you have finished adding all of your oil, continue to whisk until you have your desired thickness.
- Add in the mustard and lemon juice, taste and season to your liking.
If your mayonnaise becomes too thick simply let it out with a tbsp. of boiling water
For the Tater Tots:
2 sweet potatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 small white onion, finely chopped
½ a green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 tbsp Coconut oil, melted
Salt and pepper as required.
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/ 392°F.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks, toss in the olive oil and sprinkle with the oregano. Bake in the oven until tender, approx. 15 – 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your chunks.
- Fry off the pancetta in some coconut oil until crispy, set aside and add the onion and pepper to the pan, sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- In a large bowl mash the sweet potato, add the spices, onion, pepper, pancetta.
- Add the egg, season and mix thoroughly.
- Use your hands to squeeze and shape the mixture into “tots”.
- Lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes, drizzle a little coconut oil over the tots and bake for a further 10 minutes before turning.
- Bake on the opposite side for a further 5-10 minutes, until golden and crispy, serve with some homemade mayo for dipping and enjoy!