Courgetti and Meatballs
Are you doing January Whole 30 or just looking to clean things up after Christmas? Either way you have got to make this Courgetti & Meatballs recipe!
You may or may not be aware that my love of meatballs is one of the reasons this blog was born! When I first went paleo meatballs were one of my go to meals! I would make huge batches of them and eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner – no word of a lie!! (If you have any left over heat them gently then wrap them in streaky bacon and fry off on the pan – sensational!!) The only problem with my meatball obsession was that I would make up all kinds of delicious combos and then a week later completely forget what I had put in them!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved
300g round steak mince
1/2 a small onion, finely diced
1/2 red pepper, finely diced
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Italian herb seasoning or oregano if you prefer
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Oil or Coconut oil
For the sauce:
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green chili, finely sliced
400g tin of chopped tomatoes
2 spiralised courgettes/zucchinis (either raw or lightly sauteed whichever you prefer)
- To make the sauce, heat a small pot with some of your chosen oil, gently saute the garlic and chili for 1-2 minutes before adding in the tomatoes, bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer. Allow it to cook away while you prepare everything else – stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl add all of the spices, onion and pepper, mix thoroughly before adding in the mince and mixing thoroughly once more.
- Roll the mixture into balls, I went for about the size of a ping-pong ball! (This recipe makes between 9 and 12 meatballs)
- Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp of your chosen oil. Add the meatballs to the pan, you may want to do this in 2 batches, allow to brown for about a minute before turning the temperature right down and allowing the meatballs to cook for 4 minutes with a lid on top of them, any sauce pan lid you have will do!
- Remove the lid turn the heat up slightly, flip the meatballs and allow to brown for about a minute before reducing the heat, placing the lid back on and cooking for a further 4 minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside while you prepare your courgette/zucchini to your liking.
- Place the courgetti/zoodles on your plate and pile it high with your meatballs.
- Lastly pour over a generous helping of the tomato sauce, serve and enjoy!