I absolutely love all types of curries! The Wonky Curry is the perfect mix between a rich nutty flavour and gorgeous spice. It’s completely clean yet feels just a little naughty – perfect for getting you through the mid-January slump!
One Friday evening I was playing around in the kitchen with one of my friends, and from there The Wonky Curry was created! It’s so deliciously addictive so be sure to make plenty for the next day too!!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved.
3 large chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 large white onion, finely sliced
2 bell peppers, finely sliced
1 thumb size piece of ginger, grated
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 red chili, finely sliced
150g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp ground turmeric
1/2 tbsp medium curry powder
1/2 tbsp garam masala
1 can of coconut milk
3 heaped tbsp crunchy almond butter
- In a large wok heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil and sauté the chicken for 4-6 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Add a little more oil to the pan and sauté the onions.
- After about 1-2 minutes, when the onions have started to become translucent add in the garlic, chili, ginger, turmeric, garma masala and curry powder – mix thoroughly adding a tsp or so of water if necessary.
- Allow the onions and spices to cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the peppers and mushrooms.
- Once the peppers have started to soften add the chicken back into the wok followed by the almond butter.
- Give everything a good stir and add in the coconut milk, stirring again until it has fully combined.
- Allow the mixture to come to a gentle boil (you want it to start to bubble slightly around the edges) before reducing the heat and simmering for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is fully cooked and the sauce is rich and creamy.
- Serve and enjoy!