I absolutely love bolognese and this Turkey Bolognese is the perfect way to get back on track after an indulgent Easter weekend! Whip yourself up a batch this evening and you have prepped for the remainder of the week!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole30.
4 stalks of celery, finely sliced
1 red onion, finely sliced
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
80g bacon lardons
1 tin of chopped tomatoes (400g)
1 tin of tomato puree (150g)
400g turkey mince
2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tsp Italian herbs
1 bay leaf
Pinch of coarse salt
1 tsp coconut oil
Fresh basil to garnish
- In a large frying pan heat the olive oil, add the lardons and cook for 2-3 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Next, add the celery, onion & garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes before adding to a large saucepan.
- Place the frying pan back on the heat and brown the mushrooms for one minute a side.
- Add the mushrooms to the saucepan along with the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf, nutmeg and Italian herbs and place over a low heat with 50ml of water.
- Lightly saute the turkey mince with a large pinch of coarse salt, in your frying pan until fully cooked before adding it to the saucepan.
- Stir the mixture until combined and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the sauce to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until fully cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve and enjoy with some courgette noodles and basil garnish!