Healthy Victoria Sponge Cake
Today is my birthday and to celebrate I am sharing this delicious Healthy Victoria Sponge Cake with you! Don’t be put off by the seemingly endless list of instructions – trust me it’s actually super simple and tastes divine!!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Paleo.
60g coconut oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
150ml almond milk
450g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of coarse salt
40g smooth cashew butter
1 portion of chia jam:
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
Large handful of raspberries & strawberries
2 pots of vanilla coconut yoghurt
- Begin by preparing the chia jam, for this cake I have adapted my raspberry chia jam recipe to include strawberries.
- Rinse the fruit in some cold water and strain, leaving a small bit of water on them.
- Place in a saucepan over a low heat for 5-10 minutes until they start to soften, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the chia seeds and cook for a further minute or so before finally stirring in the honey and vanilla.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool while you prepare the remainder of the cake.
- Preheat your oven to 180°c/356°F and line two 8 inch baking trays with parchment paper, I also greased the edges with coconut oil to avoid any sticking and it worked a charm!
- Melt the coconut oil and add to a large mixing bowl with the eggs, honey, almond milk and vanilla extract, mix thoroughly until combined.
- Next add the ground almonds, baking powder & salt again mixing thoroughly until combined.
- Lastly, add the cashew butter and mix until the mixture is fully combined.
- Spread the mixture evenly across both baking dishes.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes until golden and fully cooked.
- Once the cakes are fully cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the dishes and placing on a wire rack to cool.
- Flip the cakes every 10 minutes while cooling to avoid them sticking on the rack.
- Once fully cooled, place 1 of the cakes on a serving plate, then spread them jam on the top of both cakes, holding back 1-2 spoonfuls for the top.
- Next spread half of the coconut yoghurt on one of the cakes and sandwich both cakes together.
- Spread the remaining coconut yoghurt on top with the chia jam.
- Lastly, scatter on the remaining fruit and serving!