Today is my birthday and to celebrate I am sharing this ode to my favourite thing on the planet, almond butter cups! What started off in my mind as being made up of 2 simple ingredients – chocolate & almond butter, completely transformed when I started putting it together! I will warn you though, slice it into slivers as it is EXTREMELY indulgent!!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Vegan.
The World's Largest Nut Butter Cup CakePrint This
- Base: 1 cup ground almonds (120g)
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- Nut Butter layer: ~1/2 cup crunchy almond butter (150g)
- ~1/2 cup smooth hazelnut butter (150g)
- ~1/2 cup cashew butter (150g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp agave
- Chocolate layer: 8 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 tbsp cacao powder
- 8 tbsp agave
- Large pinch coarse salt
- In a large bowl combine all of the base ingredients, then press into a parchment lined pastry tin.
- Next, combine all of the nut butter ingredients in a large bowl and pour into the tin on top of the base. (alternatively, a batch of my cookie dough nut butter is also amazing for this layer!)
- Place the cake in your freezer to set slightly while you prepare the chocolate layer.
- Add the cacao powder, coconut oil & agave to a small pot and set over a low heat. Once the coconut oil has begun to melt, whisk to combine all of the ingredients. Set the mixture aside from the heat for about 5-10 minutes, until it is still smooth, yet cooled slightly.
- Remove the cake from the freezer & pour over the chocolate mix & sprinkle with a good pinch of coarse salt, for me the more the better but this is a personal preference!
- Place the cake in your freezer for a further hour or so to set or allow to set overnight in your fridge.
- Once solid, remove from the tin, sprinkle with some cacao powder if you desire, & serve!