I absolutely adore Banoffee – this recipe is the perfect healthy alternative to a traditional family favourite. All of the pleasure of a delicious Banoffee with none of the guilt!
2 cans of full fat coconut milk refrigerated for 6-8 hours
400g raw cashew nuts
1 tbsp melted coconut oil
1 tbsp solid coconut oil
2 cups of dates
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp of agave syrup
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 square of 85% dark chocolate
2-3 ripe bananas
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/392°F.
- Place the cashews on a baking tray and toast for 6-8 mins, until they begin to go golden brown.
- Soak the dates in hot water and set aside to soften.
- Place the cashews in the food processor and blend until you have a flour-like mixture.
- Add 1 tbsp of melted coconut oil and 1/4 cup of agave syrup to the flour and blend until the mixture is combined.
- Line an 8″ cake tin with parchment.
- Add the mixture to the tin and smooth out with a flat spoon or small rolling pin, place in the fridge while you prepare the caramel.
- Remove the stones from the dates and add to the food processor along with about 100mls of the water they were soaking in.
- Blend until the mixture looks like a smooth caramel, then add the cinnamon, 1 tbsp of solid coconut oil and 1 tbsp of agave syrup and blend again. When all the ingredients have combined add the pecans and blend until smooth.
- Remove the base from the fridge and add the caramel, refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until set.
- Carefully remove the coconut milk from the fridge, open the cans – the milk should have solidified at the top, scoop out the thick “cream” and discard the water from the bottom.
- Whip the cream until ripples begin to appear on the surface.
- Remove the base from the fridge and layer the caramel with slices of banana.
- Transfer the pie onto a serving plate and smooth the cream over the banana.
- Grate the chocolate and sprinkle it on top.
- Serve & Enjoy! 🙂