Zesty Orange and Dark Chocolate Scones
A healthy alternative with absolutely no compromises on decadence.
Sit back and enjoy with a piping hot pot of tea!
225g of almond flour (you can also use ground almonds)
1 teaspoon of baking soda
3 squares of 85% dark chocolate finely chopped
Zest of a large orange, finely chopped
3-4 tablespoons of freshly squeezed orange juice
4 tablespoons of Agave nectar (you can also use honey or maple syrup)
1 tsp vanilla essence
Makes 6 large scones
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°c/356°F.
- In a large bowl combine the almond flour, baking soda, dark chocolate and orange zest.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs and combine with the rest of the liquids.
- Mix both sets of ingredients together.
- Using a large metal spoon separate the dough, roll into small balls and place on a parchment lined baking tray, using your fingers gently press down on each scone.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes, until the scones are a lovely golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Enjoy slightly warm with one of The Wonky Spatula’s top notch serving suggestions:
These Paleo scones are delicious teamed with Irish made dairy free ice-cream nobó, Cut your scone in half and pop a good dollop of nobó between each half and enjoy like an ice-cream sandwich!! The ideal unguilty pleasure!!
Or why not whip up your own homemade cream?! The topping of my Blissfully Guilt-Free Banoffee Pie doubles up as a delicious serving cream!
– Refrigerate a tin of coconut milk for a few hours, carefully open it up scoop out the delicious cream (discard the water), whip it for a few minutes with 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence, smother the cream over your scone and garnish with some mint leaves – Absolutely scrummy!