Slow Cooker Moroccan Beef
Happy New Year! After a fantastic Christmas break it is back to reality today, as I am sure is the case for most of you! I was fortunate enough to receive a slow cooker from my Kris Kindle this year and I am IN LOVE!! Finally I can get to work on some of the dreamy winter recipes I have been thinking up over the last few weeks!
This Slow Cooker Moroccan Beef is a delicious hearty meal to help you get back on track after the holidays!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved.
This dish will be even better if you make it a day in advance and leave the flavours to infuse over night… magical!
500g braising beef, cut into small chunks
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
Small pinch of saffron (optional)
2 bay leaves (snapped in half to release the flavour)
3 tbsp tomato puree or 1/4 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
2 small or one large sweet potato, peeled and diced
300g rainbow carrots, sliced
500ml Vegetable Stock
2 handfuls of raisins or mixed fruit (optional)
- Season the beef with a good pinch of coarse sea salt.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan and brown the beef.
- Remove from the pan and set aside to rest while you prepare the remainder of the dish.
- Add a little more olive oil to the pan and saute the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, paprika and saffron to the onions and saute for a further 2-3 minutes until infused.
- Stir in the puree and mix thoroughly before adding the sweet potato and carrots.
- Add the stock to the pan followed by the beef, it’s resting juices and the bay leaves. Bring the mixture to the boil before placing in your slow cooker.
- Stir the raisins/mixed fruit if desired.
- Place your slow cooker on low and cook for 7-8 hours until the beef is lovely and tender.