I absolutely love pork belly! It’s so full of flavour and easy to prepare! I’m constantly battling between slow cooking / cooking it quickly so that I get sink my teeth into it!! This recipe is the perfect compromise. An amazing crispy layer followed by absolute melt in your mouth perfectly cooked meat that you would think was cooled low and slow all day!
It is the perfect summer dish for evenings that you don’t feel like cranking up the BBQ but still want to enjoy something mouthwatering and delicious!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole 30 Approved.
1kg of belly pork, you can go for slices or a large piece. (I used slices)
2-3 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp oregano
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp ground corriander
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chipotle flakes
Large pinch of coarse salt
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil and all of the spices.
- Add in the pork belly and mix until fully coated. Allow to sit for 15-20 minutes while you heat your oven to 220°c/428°F.
- Place the pork belly in an oven proof dish, fat side up. Keep the slices fairly close together so that they stay upright.
- Sprinkle on the salt and place in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is nice and crispy.
- After this, reduce the heat to 160°c/325°F. separate the pieces slightly and cook for another hour. (If the top has not crisped enough to your liking simply place under you grill/broiler for 2-3 minutes)
- Remove from the oven and rest for 10-15 minutes before serving with a big helping of crisp salad!