Luscious Lettuce bowl
Every so often I get days where I really don’t feel like eating or cooking meat, today has been one of those days and this Lettuce Bowl is the perfect solution! It’s so simple and incredibly delicious, the perfect lunch or light dinner for this sunny Saturday!
1 Leaf Iceberg Lettuce
6 Santini or Cherry Tomatoes – halved
1 inch piece of Cucumber
Handful of Baby Spinach Leaves
2 Button Mushrooms
2 Asparagus Stalks
1/2 Sweet Pepper
1/4 Carrot + 1/4 Parsnip – shredded or spiralized
Handful of Pine nuts and Pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Preheat the oven to 220°c.
- Place a baking tray in the oven for about 2 minutes with 1 tbsp coconut oil on it, when it has melted and starts to smoke remove from the oven and place the parsnip and carrot on it, making sure they have been tossed in the oil, place in the oven for about 15 minutes, turning regularly.
- Place the Lettuce cup in a bowl.
- Add the spinach.
- Add the cucumber.
- Heat a griddle pan with the 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, add the pepper and allow to sear. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add to the lettuce cup.
- In a small pan add the remainder of the oil and allow to heat, add the tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the balsamic vinegar, allow it to reduce then remove it from the heat.
- Add the mushrooms and the asparagus to the griddle pan. Once the mushrooms are cooked add them to the lettuce bowl. Raise the heat in the pan and allow the asparagus to sear.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds and pine nuts in a dry pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and balsamic to the cup.
- Followed by the asparagus.
- Remove the parsnip and carrot from the oven. Sprinkle the seeds on top of the cup followed by the frizzled veg.