Sheperd’s pie is a fantastic mid-week meal that the family are sure to love, I am a loving looking into traditional dishes at the moment and how I can put my own spin on them, keep an eye out for the next one!
This recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Paleo & Whole30.
- 500g round steak mince
- 1 white onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp gluten-free worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 250ml beef stock
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 sunshine sweet potatoes (or normal if you cannot get your hands on them), peeled and chopped
- 1 egg
- Knob of grassfed butter/ghee
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 220°c/425°F.
- Heat a large saucepan with some olive oil and add the onion and carrot, saute for 2-3 minutes until they begin to soften before seasoning and adding the nutmeg.
- Next, add the mince and allow to brown gently before stirring in the beef stock and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the mixture on a low heat for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables and the meat are fully cooked.
- In the meantime steam the potatoes until they are fully cooked and soft. Once they are cooked add them to a large bowl and mash them.
- Whisk the egg and add it to the potatoes along with a knob of butter, salt & pepper.
- Add the mince mixture to an ovenproof dish, place the potato on top and spread it across the dish.
- Finally, taking a fork run it up and down the pie in order to create a nice pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30minutes until the potato is golden and crispy, serve and enjoy!